This is one hell of a title for any blog to use, so when I saw this on Treehugger, I could not believe it, but what astounded me, and certainly the press seem not to have picked up on it, is, in the wake of Fukushima, Germany is, or will be, shutting all of its nuke plants, and has vowed to replace them with clean sources.
This is an massive statement to make, and one we in the UK could easily make if the right incentive was made.
But back to the solar power, running half of Germany on solar is huge, but last time I went there it was not obvious, I am travelling through next week, so stand by, I might change my mind.
But, and as alway I have a but, if the uk is to go this route, please can we avoid installing flat panels over existing domestic roofs, it’s just hideous, and a blight to the house design, there has to be a better way, At the grand design show in London I saw an excellent slate design that replaced the existing concrete of slate roof covering with a slick solar panel slate, producing as much if not more energy than before and looking not bad.
So Solar, wind and a little geothermal, all working together with a Smart Grid, all add up to a green economy. That and a new attitude to the use of power, ie not wasting it, switching to local 12v and a more sharing collaborative with smart systems.
CPD is huge, I have said for a long time, the Architectural Technologist is well placed to help design and develop the new solar technology, from the actual product to the installation. My moleskin is packed with notes, drawings and other snippets I have made on the subject, can’t get work, try looking into this market, and go for one of the more upmarket products to see if they want your technical expertise.
Sorry no hangout this week, Im on hols, but will be back in two weeks, I will be hanging out most of today, so if you see me, drop in, Lunch time might be a good time !
- Architectural Technologist – BIM report for NewZealand (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Google Doc’s improved research notes (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Profile Boards (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Rainwater and our need to understand water tables (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Another Sunday in the sun and a my first stab at Blogsy (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – My new iPad and me (konstrukshon.com)