Architectural Technologist – Floating House
BD, that great weekly ! rag of the UK Architecture industry, has an excellent article on floating homes, not new, in fact, I did several studies of houses that might float, when I was the Tech guy at Dow, but Baca Architects in London have made what looks like a proof of concept design and made it into a planning application and got it approved. The 225 sq M dwelling by the River Thames will rise from a fixed base in times of flood, the basement shellwhich is made of concreteacts as the hull, with timber frame construction to the living area.
House bouats come naturaly to mind here, but with a more land based application. Ideal for flood planes and areas near rivers that often get flooded.
- Ship Ahoy for a Retro-fitted Floating Barge (with Books) (treehugger.com)
- Hotel guests check into a Room in London (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Should an Architectural Technologist be involved in ship design (konstrukshon.com)
- Friends and Supporters of Soi Dog, A Rescue From The Floods… (otterman.wordpress.com)
- Hey You, Get Onto My Cloud: Bizarre Floating Transport (weburbanist.com)
- Thais celebrate water festival despite floods (thehindu.com)
- Thais Celebrate Water Festival Despite Floods (abcnews.go.com)
- Thais celebrate water festival despite floods (seattletimes.nwsource.com)