I, as many of you might be aware draw with Vectorworks, I have done so for some considerable time, with short intermissions where I worked freelance in practices that used Autocad, this was fine, I got the best of both worlds, I kept up my use of Autocad during the day, and at home I used Vectorworks, but for the past few years I have not used Autocad, simply because I have not done any freelance work in an Autocad office. And here lies the problem, I went to teach some students yesterday, and did not know I needed Autocad, went to load the program and thought, Oooer, what next, luckily I managed to remember enough to get through,
It highlight two problems, one, if you don’t keep using a particular program, you forget, second, Autocad is not cheap, I went onto the Autodesk site to look at the Mac version and saw it was, well very expensive, to much to buy, just to keep up with it, I have the reader version, and an account with Autodesk, but it’s practice I need to keep up.
So I am at present limited to watching a series of Autocad tutorials on Youtube, there are loads, but it does not satisfy the need to practice and get used to the command line again. The college have student copies so at least one day a week I can open up and practice, if I have time, perhaps thats all I need, we will see. I have a separate project on my CPD list for Autocad, I think it’s time I upped the hours here with some practice and actual drawing time, perhaps with a project or two.
As an addition to todays blog, I went onto Autodesk, and managed to download a student Mac copy of Autocad, I’m a lecturer at Gloucester College so qualify for a free download, nice one Autodesk.
Don’t forget, I will host a tech hangout every Friday at 3 pm, call in to chat, moan,find out something, anything to do with Architectural Technology. follow me on Google + “+stevescaysbrook”
- Architectural Technologist – Google Hangout for Architectural Technologists – today @ 5 pm (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Vectorworks file corruption problem (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Vectorworks worksheet use in practice (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Paper V’s CAD (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Wikihouse review (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – No CPD today (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Novedge Vectorworks webinar on BIM by John Pickup (konstrukshon.com)
- Welcome (around-the-corner.typepad.com)
- Where is the market for AutoCAD for Mac? (worldcadaccess.typepad.com)
- Autodesk Evangelist, Lynn Allen, is Special Guest at “The Future of Design” Event (prweb.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Editing & Changing a polyline in a Vectorworks drawing (konstrukshon.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Tech hangout (konstrukshon.com)